Scroll Top


No Fees Unless You Collect

What If Police Don’t Come After an Accident?

Why Having an Accident Report is Crucial to Your CaseIf you’ve been in a car accident, one of the first things you should do is call the police. In many cases, they will come to the accident scene and file a report. While this document is typically not admissible as evidence in a personal injury claim, it can be used to reference certain information such as location of the accident, time of accident, witness information and more.
However, there are some instances where the police may not come to the scene of the incident. This could be for many reasons, including if the accident is not considered severe enough or if there are no injuries.
If the police don’t come to the scene of your accident, there are still steps you can take to get an official report. Here’s what you need to know.
Step One: Call or Visit the Nearest Precinct
If you’re involved in an accident, and the police don’t come to the scene, your first step should be to call or visit the nearest precinct. Explain that you were involved in an accident and ask if a report was filed. If it wasn’t filed, you could ask to file one yourself.
Step Two: Gather Information From the Other Driver
If you cannot get a police report, you’ll need to gather information from the other driver. This should include their name, contact information, insurance information, and license plate number. You’ll also want to get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
Step Three: File a Crash Report With the DMV
In some states, you may be required to file a crash report with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This is typically only required if there are injuries or property damage due to the accident.
You can usually file a crash report online or in person at your local DMV office. You’ll need to provide information about the accident, including what happened and the contact information for the other driver.
Step Four: Contact an Attorney
If you’ve been involved in an accident and the police don’t come to the scene, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the process of filing a police report and collecting evidence. They can also help you pursue a personal injury claim and get the compensation you deserve.
Your Personal Injury Team
At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, we understand the challenges you may face after an accident. We’re here to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

Powered by WPeMatico

Related Posts

Call Now